Ideas for Flexible and Home Work
Over half of new mums would like to run their own business, and the number of mumpreneurs is growing daily. If you want to start your own home business, here are some pointers from Antonia Chitty, author of Family Friendly Working, to get you going:
- Get a great business idea. If you’re not sure where to start, sign up for the Ideas and Inspirations E-course at Family Friendly Working.
- List your priorities such as earning money, or finding work that lets you stay home with your children.
- Write down your skills, and ask others what they think you’re good at.
- Think about the hours you can devote to working. Be realistic if you plan to work around the kids, as they may not understand “mummy’s working”.
- Research the market for your business. Will people buy your product or service? Is it unique enough to be appealing?
- Pop into a local Enterprise Agency for advice. The Inland Revenue can also send an advisor to your house.
- Go to The Mumpreneur Guide for a free start up e-course to help you get your business going.
- Prepare a business plan. Set out aims and objectives, and the steps to take to achieve your goals. There is a free business plan guide to download at www.prbasics.co.uk
- Work out how you will promote and market your business. Visit www.PRBasics.co.uk for a free promotion plan and lots of PR ideas and resources.
Good luck with your new enterprise.